Most people launder their sheets once a week,
but bed pillows are an item we don’t often think of washing.
then I guess you can skip this cleaning challenge. 🙂
But if you are like most of us and you use your pillow for sleeping every night,
it’s time for a cleaning.
- Unless the care instructions say otherwise, most down and synthetic pillows can be easily be machine-washed
- Make sure to wash two at a time to balance the load
- Use the gentle cycle, warm water and mild detergent
- Run them through the rinse cycle twice to rinse them thoroughly
- Feather and foam pillows should be washed in sink filled with warm water and powdered detergent
- Hold the pillows underwater until completely soaked, kneed gently
- Drain the dirty water out and press down to extract as much water as possible
- Give it a spin in the washing machine for 3 cycles
The best tips for drying pillows are:
- synthetic pillows can be placed in dryer on low; fluffing often
- throw in some clean towels to help speed up the drying process
- add tennis balls or clean tennis shoes to help plump them up
- add a dryer sheet to give a nice fresh fragrance (optional)
- feather and foam pillows can be air dried in the sunshine
- can use the air cycle on dryer as well
- make sure all pillows are completely dry as dampness can lead to mold
the next time you lay your head down to sleep it will be on a fresh, clean pillow.
Do you have any tried and true tips for cleaning your pillows?
I would love to hear them!