It’s hard to believe that my little baby boy will be here in less than seven weeks. This pregnancy has just flown by. Don’t get me wrong…this little guy is starting to get pretty heavy. But I am still so overjoyed to be blessed with this most amazing gift. I know once he arrives, sleeping a solid 6-7 hours is going to be a distant memory. Even though he will only be sleeping a few hours at a time, I know how important that precious sleep is for my baby to grow healthy and strong. It’s crucial to me that he have a safe sleeping environment. I’m sharing with you today, a few tips to help keep your little sleeping baby safe.
It’s been over eight years since I’ve watched this little guy sleep in his crib. I remember as a first time mother, worrying about him. Wanting to stay awake every moment so that I could keep him completely safe. To help ease my anxiety with this second baby boy, I discovered 5 infant sleeping tips that will keep him safe and help me worry less. Every parent could use a little less worry in their lives, right?
1) Have a bassinet. Keep your baby safe in a bassinet at arm’s reach and at bed level. Place the bassinet near your bed and you can easily check on your little one anytime throughout the night.
2) The back is best. Infants should be placed on their backs to sleep.
3) Use a sleep sack. To prevent the covering of your infants head and over heating, cloth your little one in a sleep sack. (They’re perfect for quick diaper changes as well.)
4) Skip the pillows. As cute as they can be, it’s best to lay infants flat on their back without propping them up on pillows.
5) Consider a pacifier. I’ve found many recommendations to use a pacifier to put your little one to sleep during the first year of your infant’s life.
Above all remember, the longer you care for your infant the more you will become calm and develop confidence in your abilities to keep your little one safe.
If you would like to see some additional tips on how to calm your baby when crying or help with breast feeding, Children’s Hospital Colorado has a great program called Just Ask Children’s. Explore answers from pediatric experts to frequently asked parent questions. A great resource when you don’t know who to ask! And be sure to check out their live Online Q&A next Tuesday, December 16th, from 9 am – 4 pm MST, where their experts will be answering your and other parents’ questions about keeping your baby healthy, safe and well. You can also find them on Facebook and Twitter.
Newborn babies are such a beautiful gift and your time with them is precious. Hopefully these tips and resources will give you peace of mind and allow you to enjoy them to the fullest. If you have any tips on keeping your little ones safe, I would love for you to leave them in the comments. 🙂
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Children’s Hospital Colorado. The opinions and text are all mine.