“It’s time to go to the mattresses.” 🙂
A quality mattress is a very important investment for your home.
Since we spend about one-third of our lives sleeping, it seems reasonable to take proper care of your mattress so that you can get the most bang for your buck.
I have some great tips and tricks to keep your mattresses clean and fresh and smelling great.
If that is just not going to happen in your home, try making it a twice-a-year-goal.
The best supplies for this cleaning task are:
- white vinegar
- baking soda
- 2 new tennis balls
- stain remover (such as Oxiclean Versatile Stain remover)
- dryer sheets with essential oils (such as Mrs. Meyer’s)
- Vacuum (with crevice tool)
- Remove the mattress cover and toss it in the wash–if stained follow the next two steps
- Soak the stained cover in cold water with Oxiclean
- Wash the the cover in the hottest setting recommended according to care label, be sure to add 1 cup of white vinegar to deodorize
- Vacuum the tops and sides of the mattress using the crevice tool, make sure to get into the tufting and around seams
- Poor baking soda into sifter
- Working directly over the mattress, lightly dust the mattress evenly with baking soda (this will gradually draw moisture and dirt out of the mattress, thus relieving it of odors)
- Remove cover from wash and place in dryer with tennis balls to fluff it back to form (or if you prefer, hang outside to air dry)
- You can leave the light baking soda dusting or you can vacuum, your choice (if you do leave it, just vacuum the next time you change your bed)
- Get your cover from the dryer and remake bed
- Fresh Smelling Tip: Tuck a dryer sheet under your mattress cover to deliver a fresh scent while you sleep.
If you follow these cleaning tips,
you will extend the life of your mattress and hopefully enjoy a better night’s sleep.
Here’s wishing you happy Zzzzzzzzzzz’s.
Do you have any tips for keeping your mattress in tip top shape?
I would love to hear them!