Now, I know you are probably asking, “Why do we need to clean the dishwasher?”
It’s important to help keep your machine running efficiently and smelling fresh.
Honestly, who doesn’t want cleaner dishes with less work? Am I right?
Keep the dishwasher happy, you will be happy. It’s really that simple! 🙂
The best supplies for this cleaning task are:
- distilled white vinegar
- baking soda
- old soft toothbrush
- stainless steal cleaner or mild multipurpose cleaner
- soft cloth
- dry towel
- start with an empty dishwasher
- remove the racks and the utensil holder
- fill your sink with a mixture of water and vinegar (about 1-2 cups vinegar per half a sink full of water)
- place a soft cloth in the vinegar water and wipe utensil holder and racks clean, checking for any stuck on food, wipe dry
- remove spinning arm, grate and filter–if you have one, from floor of dishwasher
- place parts in vinegar water to soak
- use soft cloth to wipe down inside of dishwasher walls and seal with vinegar water (for tight spots you may need to use toothbrush)
- wash soaking parts with baking soda paste and soft toothbrush
- be sure to check that all holes in spinning arm are open so that water can run through them freely, clear out any debris with toothpicks
- reassemble and replace all parts
- Bonus Tip: remove hard water deposits by running one cycle of your dishwasher empty with distilled vinegar. Add 2 cups of vinegar to bottom of dishwasher and turn on to Energy Saving or Low Wash. Stop the machine mid-wash. Let stand for 20 minutes, then finish the cycle.
- wipe down buttons and panel
- clean handle and front of door with a mild spray cleaner or stainless steel cleaner
not only will have a clean, fresh smelling dishwasher
but your dishes should be a lot cleaner too!
How do you keep your dishwasher clean?
Share your tips in the comments below.